Friday, May 1, 2009

Nestling

The place was quiet when I arrived, or so I thought after glancing around. Mum was sound asleep on the bed and I went to cover her carefully after making sure she was alright. It still choked me up a little, looking at the dark haired elven woman that gave birth to me, and now my attention is stolen by a tiny sound behind me. Turning, I creep slowly towards it, the crib tucked up under an ornamental window, and looked down at my new baby brother. It was ackward resting against the side, my own swollen belly making it hard to get close unless I come in at an angle. Tears well up in my eyes and I can feel them running down as I silently can't help but cry with happiness as Raven sleeps in his bed. Those tiny baby sounds making my heart clench up with excitement. I couldn't wait until I had my own, rubbing my belly, I could feel the unborn shifting in its tiny confinement. It makes me smile all the more as I dried the tears from my eyes.

"How sweet you are, Nestling..my lil baby brother..are ya gonna grow up like me? I hope not.." Leaning over, I rest my chin on the railing of the crib, and reach down to brush a talon lightly across the feathery dark cap of hair crowning Raven's head. I smile again and sigh quietly as I try to ignore my own discomfort.

After a moments, I finally turn away and move over to the bed, crawling across to lie down with my mother to rest and hope for the pains to go away..

No comments: